Current Fellows' Publications
Alex Bullen, MD
Dr. Bullen and Dr. Rifkin entered the ASN teaching innovations contest and they are in the finals! Dr. Bullen was given $1000 to develop a “Choose-your-own-adventure” style teaching tool for teaching about the social and cultural determinants of blood pressure.
An update on “Choose-your-own-adventure” Dr. Bullen and Dr. Rifkin created a game where the user is a nephrologist who has just been appointed as the new Health Commissioner of a city in Louisiana. The Health Commissioner's main duty is to achieve better control of hypertension in this stroke-belt city by implementing different nonpharmacological interventions such as management of obesity, decreasing sodium intake, adding pharmacists to the care of patients, among others. You'll have fun while being while being challenged with a limited budget and constant pressure from the unmerciful media and the Governor of Louisiana.
You can learn more by watching our video at:
Charles Ginsberg, MD
- Ginsberg C, Ix JH. Nicotinamide and phosphate homeostasis in chronic kidney disease. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2016 Jul;25(4):285-91. PMID: 27219041
Hoang Anh Nguyen, MD
Nguyen HA, Miracle CM, Anderson CAM, Rifkin DE.The association of depression and perceived health status among individuals with chronic kidney disease: an analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2011-2012. Nephrology for the Consultant Conference Oral Presentation January 27, 2016, San Diego, CA.
Nguyen HA, Rifkin DE. Cliff dive or slippery slope: Trajectories of kidney function decline and implications for survival after hemodialysis initiation. Am J Kid Dis 2016 Aug;68(2):173-5. PMID: 27477356.
Anderson CAM, Nguyen HA, Rifkin DE. Nutrition interventions in chronic kidney disease. Med Clin North Am 2016 Nov;100(6):1265-83. PMID: 27745594.
Nguyen HA, Miracle CM, Anderson CAM, Rifkin DE. The association of depression, perceived health status, and quality of life among individuals with chronic kidney disease: an analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2011-2012. ASN Kidney Week Poster: SA-PO953. Presented November 19, 2016, Chicago, IL
Aleksandra Novikov, MD
Aleksandra Novikov, Yiling Fu,Akira Onishi, Panai Song,Winnie Huang, Volker Vallon.Fractional Uric Acid Excretion Is Increased in Mice Lacking SGLT2 ASN Kidney Week Poster: FR-P0365. Presented November 18, 2016, Chicago, IL.
- Novikov A, Vallon V: Sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibition in the diabetic kidney: an update. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2016, 25:50-58.
Past Fellow's Publications
- Joseph Abdelmalek, MD
- Woodell TB, Hughes-Austin JM, Tran TV, Malhotra A, Abdelmalek JA, Rifkin DE. Associations between cystatin C-based eGFR, ambulatory blood pressure parameters, and in-clinic versus ambulatory blood pressure agreement in older community-living adults. Blood Press Monit. 2015; 17. PMID: 26683379
- Abdelmalek JA, Gansevoort RT, Lambers Heerspink HJ, Ix JH, Rifkin DE. Estimated albumin excretion rate versus urine albumin-creatinine ratio for the assessment of albuminuria: a diagnostic test study from the Prevention of Renal and Vascular Endstage Disease (PREVEND) Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 63(3):415-21. PMID: 24364894
Tomasz Beben, MD
- Beben T, Rifkin DE. . GFR Estimating Equations and Liver Disease. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis. 2015; 22: 337-72. PMID: 26311594.
- Conway KS, Forbang N, Beben T, Criqui MH, Ix JH, Rifkin DE. Relationship Between 24-Hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure and Cognitive Function in Community-Living Older Adults: The UCSD Ambulatory Blood Pressure Study. Am J Hypertens. 2015; 28: 1444-52. PMID: 25896923.
Beben T, Rifkin DE. Recognizing our limits: deficiencies in end-of-life education for nephrology trainees. Am J Kidney Dis. 2015; 65(2):209-10. PMID: 25616631
- Beben T, Rifkin DE. The Elderly are Different: Initiating Dialysis in Frail Geriatric Patients. Semin Dial. 2015; 28(3):221-3. PMID: 25366524
Julie Dominguez, MD
- Dominguez JR, Kestenbaum B, Chonchol M, Block G, Laughlin GA, Lewis CE, Katz R, Barrett- Connor E, Cummings S, Orwoll ES, Ix JH; Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Research Group. Relationships between serum and urine phosphorus with all-cause and cardiovascular mortality: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 61(4):555-63. PMID: 23261120.
- Dominguez JR, Shlipak MG, Whooley MA, Ix JH. Fractional excretion of phosphorus modifies the association between fibroblast growth factor-23 and outcomes. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013; 24(4):647-54. PMID: 23520205.
Bethany Karl, DO
- Metabolomics reveals signature of mitochondrial dysfunction in diabetic kidney disease.
- Sharma K, Karl B, Mathew AV, Gangoiti JA, Wassel CL, Saito R, Pu M, Sharma S, You YH, Wang L, Diamond- Stanic M, Lindenmeyer MT, Forsblom C, Wu W, Ix JH, Ideker T, Kopp JB, Nigam SK, Cohen CD, Groop PH, Barshop BA, Natarajan L, Nyhan WL, Naviaux RK. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013; 24(11):1901-12. PMID:23949796
Leonard Goldenstein, MD
- SPRINT Research Group, Wright JT Jr, Williamson JD, Whelton PK, Snyder JK, Sink KM, Rocco MV, Reboussin DM, Rahman M, Oparil S, Lewis CE, Kimmel PL, Johnson KC, Goff DC Jr, Fine LJ, Cutler JA, Cushman WC, Cheung AK, Ambrosius WT. A Randomized Trial of Intensive versus Standard Blood-Pressure Control. N Engl J Med. 2015; 26 373(22):2103-16. PMID: 26551272
- Driver TH, Shlipak MG, Katz R, Goldenstein L, Sarnak MJ, Hoofnagle AN, Siscovick DS, Kestenbaum B, de Boer IH, Ix JH. Low serum bicarbonate and kidney function decline: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).
- Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 64(4):534-41. PMID: 24953891
- Goldenstein L, Driver TH, Fried LF, Rifkin DE, Patel KV, Yenchek RH, Harris TB, Kritchevsky SB, Newman AB, Sarnak MJ, Shlipak MG, Ix JH; Health ABC Study Investigators. Serum bicarbonate concentrations and kidney disease progression in community-living elders: the Health, Aging, and Body Composition (Health ABC) Study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014; 64(4):542-9.
Christie Izutsu, MD
- “Polymyxin B Hemoperfusion and Renal Outcomes in Sepsis”
- Poster presentation at ASN Kidney Week, San Diego, CA
- Oral presentation at Regional Young Investigators Forum, San Diego, CA January 2016
- Oral presentation at NKF Young Investigators Forum, Boston, MA April 2016 “Achievement of Prescribed Ultrafiltration and Clearance Goals and Incidence of Intradialytic Hypotension among Hospitalized Patients”
- Oral and poster presentation at AKI & CRRT Conference, San Diego, CA March 2015
- Abstract at ASN Kidney Week, Philadelphia, PA November 2014
Dean Nourbakhsh, DO
- Nourbakhsh N, Singh P. Role of renal oxygenation and mitochondrial function in the pathophysiology of acute kidney injury. Nephron Clin Pract. 2014;127(1-4):149-52. PMID: 25343840
- Nourbakhsh N, Rhee CM, Kalantar-Zadeh K. Protein-energy wasting and uremic failure to thrive in children with chronic kidney disease: they are not small adults. Pediatr Nephrol. 2014 Dec;29(12):2249-52. PMID: 25239300
- Marston N, Kehl D, Copp J, Nourbakhsh N, Rifkin DE. Alkalotics anonymous: severe metabolicalkalosis. Am J Med. 2014 Jan;127(1):25-7. PMID: 24268303
Emmett Ratigan, MD
- Ratigan ED, McKay DB. Exploring principles of hibernation for organ preservation Transplant Rev (Orlando). 2016 Jan;30(1):13-9. PMID: 26613668
- Umut Selamet, MD
- Selamet U, Tighiouart H, Sarnak MJ, Beck G, Levey AS, Block G, Ix JH. "Relationship of dietary phosphate intake with risk of end stage renal disease and mortality in chronic kidney disease stage 3-5: The Modification of Diet in Renal Disease Study. "Kidney Int. 2015 Sep 30. PMID: 26422502